There are many reasons to find a tree special – its size, shape, age, setting, history, position in the landscape, association with a building. The solitary tree in front of Landmore House has them all.
On the road from Aghadowey to Kilrea, following the course of the mighty Lower Bann River, there is a tree which really catches the eye because of its distinctive shape and solitary position. When Landmore House was built in 1780 it is recorded that ten ‘hickory’ trees were planted.
A subsequent owner felled nine of the trees for their timber, but he left this one in its central position.
The variety of hickory or wingnut Juglandacae is not certain. The owners say they have never seen flower or fruit. The leaves come out in late Spring and fall suddenly in Autumn without colouring. The trunk is specially thick at the base: each Spring this is used by playful lambs for practice jumps on and off.